The UNIX trademark is owned and managed by The Open Group on behalf of the industry to signify products that are certified to conform to the Single UNIX Specification . By preferring products that are licensed to use the UNIX trademark, end user enterprises can obtain the benefits associated with the Single UNIX Specification, the UNIX standard for portable applications.
The Open Group owns the UNIX trademark and grants licenses through the UNIX certification program. Suppliers are granted a license to use the UNIX trademark in connection with a product when:
- The product has been demonstrated as passing the applicable certification test suites.
- The supplier has formally agreed to the terms of the certification program
The Single UNIX Specification
System vendors supporting the Single UNIX Specification enjoy a substantial market of loyal customers and benefit from lower development costs through shared knowledge. For ISV’s the Single UNIX Specification offers the most stable, portable and cost effective applications development environment for a wide range of platforms from mobile devices to mainframes. For end user enterprises, procuring certified UNIX systems ensures the highest level of availability, scalability and maintainability for those who want to focus on their business with confidence in their IT.
The Single UNIX Specification:
- Provides a trusted guarantee of application portability
- Enables buyers to specify UNIX conformance in procurements and vendors to certify their products as conformin
- Facilitates Boundaryless Information Flow™ for efficient access to integrated information within and among enterprises
The Open Group Platinum Members
The Open Group Platinum Members  set the strategy for the evolution of the Single UNIX Specification